Nigeria is said to have 13.2 million children out of school. In a survey conducted by UNICEF, out of school children in Nigeria has risen from 10.5 million to 13.2 million. This numbers will rise as long as government continues to neglect proper funding of public schools.
Presently, more people are losing jobs and this will also impact the numbers of kids that will be out of school. Parents who had their wards in private schools are not willing to send their kids to public school because of its very poor state.
However, most parents are yet to discuss or accept the option of Homeschooling.
Homeschooling is educating children at home or places outside a conventional School. Homeschooling is an alternative to public and private school.
Homeschooling can be conducted by a parent or teacher or an online teacher. There are many online schools available on the web. So also, there are many great resources available on the web to assist in home schooling your kids.
Benefits of Homeschooling
- It’s a more affordable way of giving quality and high standard education to kids than private schools.
- It’s a better alternative to poorly funded Nigerian public schools.
- Parents or teachers are able adapt teaching methods that are best suited to each child.
- Spend extra time with children on difficult subjects or topics until they have mastered the subject or concept.
- It creates strong bond between parent and child because it creates personal interaction in the course of learning.
- It protects kids from negative behaviors that children normally encounter in public schools.
- Parent are able to provides religious, ethical and faith based instructions while learning
- Show the Kids that education is fun.
- Allows flexibility for including subjects or topics that conventional schools are unable to teach.
- Provides a conducive environment for better learning.
Tools Needed For Homeschooling
- A room or space which can be set up as a classroom in the home. Let the kids assist in setting up the space. Decorate the space to look even better than their school classroom.
- Table/ Desk and Chairs
- Black or Whiteboard and markers
- Internet connection with tablets or computer and ear phones.
- Pencils, pen, exercise books, crayons, glue, etc
- Curriculum ( You may choose to use the Nigerian school curriculum and mix it with extra resources you may find online)
There are many reasons why a parent should consider homeschooling for their kids. Even when the parent does not have all the skill required to teach the child, they may hire a teacher for specific subjects they find challenging.
Reasons Why Parents May Consider Home Schooling
If you relocated to a different location and you are yet to find any good school around for your kids, you may consider homeschooling.
If you have safety concerns about your kids going to school outside the home, you may consider homeschooling.
If you lost your job or your family’s main source of income has been affected in one way or the other and you’re still in the process of getting another one, you may consider home schooling.
If you need to save money for a project that will be beneficial to you and your family in the future, you may choose to home school your kids to save up money for the project.
If you believe your child is not performing well enough at school or finding it difficult to catch up academically with peers, you may consider homeschooling because it gives the child the necessary attention that he may not get in a large classroom.